CREATIVE WAYS TO PRAY

WELCOME!


This is a place where you can sit down with your coffee or tea, refresh yourself spiritually through inspiring words and pictures and, perhaps most importantly of all,

find new and creative ways to pray!


Have a look at the "40 Days of Gratitude" section.

That's something we can all do and gain great blessing from.

So, enjoy browsing the site.

Please contact me if you have any questions by clicking on the 'butterfly' image below.
Kate


Please respect the copyright which applies to everything I write in all my blogs and any of my own photos used. Thank you.





Blog Archive

Saturday 25 July 2009

Guarding Our Inheritance



I love Paul's letter to the Ephesians.
The other day I was reading Ephesians chapter 1.
The heading for the first section is "Spiritual Blessings in Christ". This can be found from verse 3 through to verse 14.
It's interesting to note that in the original Greek this was all one sentence. A continuing flow of worship to honour God for what He has done. I had to consider for a moment when I last honoured God with such a continuous flow from my own heart!! Normally my "one sentence gushing" to the Lord is more like an endless shopping list or a string of gripes polished like pearls!! Thank God for forgiveness, I say!!
Verses 3 to 14 speaks of three things.
1. The blessings we have through the Father
2. The blessings we have through the Son
3. The blessings we have through the Holy Spirit.
The third one is the one that made me stop and think.
Paul talks about the PROMISED Holy Spirit, given as a DEPOSIT, guaranteeing our INHERITANCE.
I began to think, "How carefully am I guarding this sacred deposit?"
It's so easy to guard the things which are seen. Take money for example. We'll take our monetary deposit and place it in a bank, a saving fund, a high interest account and perhaps even shuttle it around from one savings resource to another, always trying to guarantee the best interest and return on our deposit.
We'll deposit copious amounts of cash into a life insurance policy so someone will receive support when we are no longer here. And we'll make sure we shop around for the best payout!
We may even be fortunate to own a rare and priceless piece of art. ( I don't!) Where do we keep it? On the wall? Oh no! It's far too priceless!! It's in the bank vault and we never get to enjoy it!
And then I ask myself the question, "What am I doing to guard the presence of the Holy Spirit in my life? This priceless deposit which guarantees my inheritance?"
Am I allowing worldly things to tarnish this treasure?
Do I pray as much for this 'deposit' as I do for all earthly ones?
And when did I last stand before God with an overflowing, thankful heart, worshipping and honouring Him for the gift of the Holy Spirit?
The truth is, I need to be more grateful, more careful, more worshipful and more aware of the treasured deposit given so freely, but which I 'carry so clumsily'!

So how do I 'pray creatively' in this situation? Well, here are a few ways which could help lead you on the right path!



1. When you pray, hold something or look at a picture or item that helps you think about the Holy Spirit. This could be a picture of a dove, your baptismal photo, a cross, an ornament................something personal to you that signifies the Spirit. And as you pray, try to 'do it the Greek way'!! That is, in one big bursting sentence of worship and glory to God!! ( But remember to breathe!!)

2. When you are taking care of banking, insurance or other financial matter, make time to consider how you're spiritual inheritance is shaping up? Are you guarding your deposit in anticipation for your inheritance?

3. Find space on your overcrowded notice/appointments board to pin a piece of paper which simply states "Guard my desposit and ensure my inheritance".

4. Pray that you will gain more wisdom and strength to DENY ACCESS to thoughts, desires, attitudes and actions that could seriously affect your spiritual inheritance.

I hope this has been helpful to you. If it has, please let me know. Encouragement increases creativity!
As always, if you need prayer, spiritual support or simply want to ask me something, just click on the 'butterfly' in right sidebar to email me. I will normally reply promptly. Please allow for differing timescales.
Thank you for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment